Like its northern neighbor Gombe, Mahale National Park is best known for having a wild chimpanzee population of around 800 individuals.
In Tanzania’s Mahale Mountains National Park, spectacular peaks rise from crystal clear Lake Tanganyika, creating one of the most dramatic nature settings anywhere. On the slopes, thick forests provide the perfect home for some of our closest living relatives, chimpanzees. On the Tanzania Chimp Adventure, you’ll spend your mornings tracking these fascinating creatures, watching their daily routines and comic antics.
Your afternoons will be spent relaxing on the white sand beach or boating in Africa’s deepest and longest lake. All the while, you’ll see precious few other people as there are no roads leading to this remote wilderness, and it’s only accessible by boat.
The dry season (May -October) is the best period. However, Mahale Mountains National Park is accessible all year round.
DAY 1: FLY ARUSHA/ MAHALE + Sundowner:
At 06h30 pick up from a hotel in Arusha, transfer to Arusha airstrip for departure by shared charter to Mahale Mountain National Park departing at 0800h arriving at 1210h. Pick up by camp vehicle on arrival. Transfer to the camp for lunch.
Staff from Kungwe Beach Lodge, your home for the next three nights, will be waiting to greet you. There are no roads in this park. people get inn by walking . You will have time to relax and discover different sounds of forest bird After you all experience check in to your lodge , and enjoy lunch. You’ll have the afternoon to enjoy one of the many activities available to you at Kungwe:
- Hippo viewing on Lake Tanganyika’s coastline
- Relaxing or reading on the beach
- Swimming or snorkeling in Lake Tanganyika
- Afternoon on the water for kayaking, boating, or traditional fishing, and
- Hiking in the forest to observe birds and local primates
Dinner and overnight at Kungwe Luxury Beach Lodge.
DAY 2: MAHALE MOUNTAINS – Chimpanzee Tracking.
Rise early for breakfast at camp at 07h00 then at 08h00 go for chimpanzee tracking in the forest while you wait for word from the park rangers. The rangers communicate daily with the forest trackers who let them know when they have spotted the chimps. First, you’ll hear the rustle of leaves and breaking of branches. You may even hear loud hooting cries bouncing through the trees as the chimps call out to family members. Then suddenly, you are among them. Take a seat on the forest floor. You’ll likely get the best view of their unique behavior from this vantage point.
They are among the most habituated chimps in the world, meaning they do not fear humans and are comfortable getting close to you. The rangers will let you stay with the chimps for one to two hours at a time depending on the number of
Visitors in the park that day. Be prepared to follow the chimps if they decide to move
The hikes takes you to the chimps habitation areas are accessible and not strenuous, Observing the endangered primates is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Meals and overnight at Kungwe Luxury Beach Lodge.
DAY 3: MAHALE MOUNTAINS – Chimpanzee Tracking+ Fishing + Sundowner:
After breakfast, go for another chimpanzee tracking in the forest. Other activities that you can do are forest walks, birding, boat trips, snorkeling, fishing and kayaks –all included in the package.
Meals and overnight at Kungwe Luxury Beach Lodge.
DAY 4: DEPARTURE
Morning breakfast at the lodge then around 1100h you will be transferred to the airstrip for your scheduled flight to Arusha, departing at 1225h arriving at 1700h. Met on arrival and transfer to y our hotel, drop off for onward or transfer to Kilimanjaro airport for your International flight.
|No. of Pax in one group||7 Pax||6 Pax||5 Pax||4 Pax||3 Pax||2 Pax||1 Pax|
- Private airport transfers in Arusha
- Flights to and from Mahale
- Accommodation on Safari and Meals as stated
- Shared activities in Mahale on lodge vehicle
- 1 x Chimpanzee trek per day
- 1 x boat safari (2 hours)
- Park entry fees
- Return airstrip transfers in Mahale
- Soft drinks and bottled water & Laundry services
- Snorkeling and Kayaking
- Applicable local and government taxes on accommodation and transportation
- Extensive pre-departure briefing and materials including health information,Reading list, and map.
- International Airfare, airport taxes and security related fees
- Accommodation in Arusha
- Meals not described in the itinerary
- Tips and gratuities to driver/guide; hotel/camp and restaurant staff; room service etc.
- Entry visas and airport taxes in Tanzania.
- Travel Insurance
- Alcoholic drinks
- Flying doctor and medical evaluation
- Any optional excursions mentioned in the itinerary
- Items of a personal nature i.e., telephone/internet usage.