Healthcare & Medical Volunteering in Arusha, Tanzania
- Medical volunteering in Arusha, Tanzania to provide healthcare to locals
- Work under professional doctors and nurses in local clinics/dispensaries and hospitals
- Suited for final/third year medical/nursing students and also working medical professionals
- Get to work in departments such as Gynecology, Operation Theater for surgeries, General Medicine, Physiotherapy department, First Aid department, Laboratory and research and X-ray facilities
- Volunteer with other medical and pre-medical students around the world.
- Dental volunteering is also provided, upon request for dentists
- On weekends, travel around Tanzania
Medical volunteering in Tanzania Arusha will be a great opportunity for all pre-med, medical and nursing students to know about the healthcare scenario of a Third World Country and effectively contribute towards the well being of the people.
Placements are provided in medical clinics, dispensaries, and hospitals located in and around the city of Arusha. This program is particularly suited for those volunteers looking for international hands-on experience and overseas medical work exposure. Medical professionals are also welcomed to be a part of this project and contribute as much as they can. Work will vary depending on the experiences of individual volunteers.
Africa Joy Tours also arranges Dentistry and Elective placements in Tanzania. Dentistry volunteers work in the dental department in hospital placements in Arusha. The placements are suitable for dental students looking to do a Dental Elective Program in Africa and gain some valuable knowledge and experience by working under the supervision of dentists and dental assistants.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
- The major task would be to shadow the professionals and assist them whenever needed.
- Depending on your skills, you’ll be assigned work like suturing wounds, giving vaccinations etc.
- Assist patients with activities such as getting them from one service point to another.
- You need to be actively involved in the daily procedures of the hospital, taking rounds of the wards, maintaining files, and doing routine patient checkups like measure Blood pressure, pulse, check fever etc.
As a volunteer for the Medical Program in Arusha, Tanzania, your general schedule would be:
- Sunday – Arrival at the destination (Arusha)
- Monday – An orientation session will be conducted by the local coordinator, covering the major topics such as safety, culture, language, places to visit, behavior, food, and other suggestions for things to do in Tanzania.
- Tuesday to Friday – Volunteer work at the placement.
- Weekends – Explore the city / Head out for wildlife safaris and much more.
- Breakfast – 07:30 am onwards.
- Working hours at the placement – 08:30 am to 12:30 pm and 02:00 pm to 03:00 pm.
- Lunch – 12:30 pm onwards.
- Dinner – 06:30 pm onwards.
The same work schedule continues from the second week onwards (Monday – Friday).
Note: Please note, the schedule may vary depending on the particular project the volunteer is participating on.
At Africa Joy Tours we try to provide best of the living arrangements to our international volunteers. So when in Tanzania, you do not have to worry about a single thing in the world and simply focus on your volunteer work.
You will be met by our professional driver at Kilimanjaro International Airport in Kilimanjaro region from where you are transferred to the accommodations in Arusha. Volunteers can also arrive in Nairobi and take a direct shuttle or bus to Arusha. They will be picked up at the bus station.
Volunteer Accommodation is provided in a Volunteer Housing / Hostel type of accommodation. The accommodation will be shared along with other volunteers. The Volunteer housing is well equipped with comfortable facilities for the volunteers. The Volunteer house has a large common area for the volunteers to relax and socialize with other participants. The house has a separate washing area where the volunteers can wash their clothes. For volunteers’ safety and security, the house is equipped with CCTV cameras and is guarded by a security guard as well.
All volunteers will be provided with an orientation session by the local coordinator. Areas like safety, locations, transportation, things to see etc will be covered in the Orientation. After your orientation is over, you will be introduced to your project and given a tour of the local area and town.
Volunteers are provided with 3 meals in a day. Typical meals include Salads, Sandwiches, Ugali, Chapatti, Chai (Tea), Bread and rice, with vegetables and fruits. Breakfast and dinner are at the volunteer house while lunch is usually packed for you to eat the placement or can be taken if you are back at the accommodation. Meals provided to the volunteers are a mix of Tanzanian and western dishes usually. If you have any special dietary requirements, do let us know in advance.
During your Free Time
Typically most of the volunteers choose to travel outside Arusha on the weekends and go for Safari trips. You have the option to choose a 2 to 3 day Safari trips to Serengeti, Tarangire and Ngorogoro. You can also head to Moshi or explore the coffee plantations and waterfalls area near Arusha. Volunteers can also go for short hiking trips near Arusha.
- 1 Week $290
- 2 Weeks $390
- 3 Weeks $490
- 4 Weeks $590
- 5 Weeks $700
- 6 Weeks $830
- 7 Weeks $950
- 8 Weeks $1080
- Age – 18 yrs and above
- Pre Med, Medical and Nursing Students can join
- CV/Resume Required
- Copy of qualifications/certifications required
- The volunteer should bring energy and enthusiasm to make a difference
- Must be in good health
- 24 hrs Assistance and support from Staff
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information
- Airport Pickup at Kilimanjaro Airport or Bus station in Arusha
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost)
What’s Not Included?
- Visa and Work Permit Fee
- Return Airport Drop( Can be arranged at extra cost)
- Local Transportation