This 10 Day selous ruaha mafia island safari Experience the beautiful scenery and wildlife of southern Tanzania; take a different perspective on a boat safari in the Selous Game Reserve and connect with the untouched wilderness of Ruaha National Park. Finish off with beaches, seafood and relaxation for a sumptuous break and an eco-friendly approach on Mafia Island. Fly between destinations and enjoy the very best service, guiding, cuisine and locations on offer.
Day 1: Lake Manze Camp
A short flight from Dar es Salaam brings you to one of the largest protected areas left on earth, the Selous Game Reserve. You will be picked up at the airstrip and taken to Lake Manze Camp, with game viewing on the way. Settle in and enjoy lunch at camp before heading out in the afternoon for a game drive, boat trip or bush walk (extra cost).
Day 2-3: Lake Manze Camp
Relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings and wildlife passing through at Lake Manze camp. Choose from a range of activities including game drives, boat trips or bush walks (extra cost). Take breakfast and/or lunch out on drive with you and learn about the history of the Selous.
Day 4: Kwihala Camp
After breakfast at Lake Manze head to the airstrip for the short hop to the spectacular wilderness of Ruaha National Park. You will be picked up at the airstrip and enjoy refreshments on game drive back to Kwihala Camp, a true bush camp in a game rich area of the park. After lunch, head out into the park with Kwihala’s excellent guides. Listen to the sounds of the bush under canvas at dinner.
Day 5-6: Kwihala Camp
Take a packed lunch and head out for a full day game drive, or opt for an early morning or afternoon game drive, taking advantage of Kwihala’s prime location, or just spend time relaxing and enjoying your surroundings at Kwihala Camp. Bush walks are available with Kwihala’s top notch guides but must be pre-booked (extra cost).
Day 7: Chole Mjini
After breakfast at Kwihala you will fly to Mafia Island via a short stop in Dar. You will be met at the airstrip and driven across the island before a short boat trip across the channel to Chole Island itself. This is the relaxing part of the trip and there is a lot for your senses to take in, but there is also lots of options for the more active traveler!
Day 8-9: Chole Mjini
Where to start, you are staying at the top of a baobab tree overlooking the Indian Ocean, so there’s that. Take advantage of the owners’ local knowledge and experience on private diving trips. A daily snorkelling/sunset boat cruise is included, extra activities include visiting the ancient ruins, swimming with whale sharks, finding hatching turtles and more (all at extra cost). Curl the sand between your toes and let Mafia Island do the work.
Day 10: Back to Dar es Salaam
This is the bit you will be dreading, heading back to Dar es Salaam and home. You can spend the last morning relaxing before making the journey back across Mafia. We can organize all the necessary car services, day rooms or hotels in Dar.
Important to know
- Rates are per person and exclude the international flight from/to your home country.
- Rates include a fixed budget for flights during this tour. Flights may cost more, depending on travel dates. If so, your quote will reflect this.
Rates per person – Must be paid in United States Dollar (USD)
|Solo (1 room)||2 people (1 room)||3+ people|
|01 Jan 2017 – 31 Dec 2017||$5,000||$4,500||3250 USD|
- Park fees (for non-residents)
- All activities (unless labeled as optional)
- All accommodation (unless listed as upgrade)
- A professional driver/guide
- All transportation (unless labeled as optional)
- All flights during the tour
- All Taxes/VAT
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- Meals (as specified in the day-by-day section)
- Drinks (as specified in the day-by-day section)
- International flights (from/to home)
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Tips (tipping guideline US$10.00 pp per day)
- Personal items (souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees